A unique, transdisciplinary alliance will draw expertise from major Queensland universities to lead research in the field of water and food security, via energy productivity, and partner with industry leaders to deliver economic, safe and more sustainable water, energy services and agricultural products.
A common vision will be adopted that then enables shared understanding, collaboration and targeted solutions, built on a foundation of rigorous science to underpin the alliance’s programs and initiatives.
The foci of this alliance are:
- Understanding knowledge for the future, with quality science and an evidence base targeting state, national and international policy concerns, with findings and insights encouraged, integrated and adopted by industry.
- Strengthening the water, energy and food sectors in delivery and productivity, to build their capacity for improved planning, management and sustainable practices.
- Improving the security and optimised productivity of water, energy and food to ensure improved exports and supply.
- Innovating and integrating solutions (e.g. technology, process and policy) in the delivery of secure, efficient and sustainable water, energy and food.
The five core activities of the alliance will be:
- Co-ordinating a series of pilot demonstration trials involving water and energy utilities, and agribusiness.
- A program of collaborative research, monitoring and decision-tool development on water-energy-food nexus research.
- Co-design innovative tools and alternative options to enhance profitability and sustainability of water and energy resources, while reducing adverse environmental (GHG) impacts.
- Capacity building and training, especially designing and engaging in a transdisciplinary learning, capacity building and reflection process
- A national water-energy-food conference series to bring internationally recognised thinkers and leading technologies, to showcase best practice in Queensland and Australia.